Cabernet Franc Wine Information
- In California, Cabernet Franc is most commonly used as a blending
grape. The winemaker will add a small amount of Cabernet
Franc to enhance the structure and flavor of Cabernet Sauvignon
and Merlot. Cabernet Franc is also used in wines that
are called Meritage or Bordeaux
blends by California winemakers.
- In France, Cabernet Franc is found in Bordeaux and the Loire.
- Recently, some California winemakers have discovered that
Cabernet Franc on its own can produce a distinctive
and delicious bottle of wine.
- Cabernet Franc tends to be less tannic than Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Cabernet Franc is a rich wine that can have herbaceous
and grassy aromas, and flavors of cassis, raspberry,
- Many consider Cabernet Franc to be more food-friendly than
Cabernet Sauvignon. It is a refreshing alternative to Cabernet
- Cabernet Franc will pair well with red meat dishes.
Cabernet Franc is produced by these wineries on our Wine Trails.
Santa Cruz Wine
Town of Sonoma